The club started life as an evening class for beginners to fencing, in around 1967 in Whitchurch Adult Centre, run in the premises of Whitchurch High School, Cardiff. Originally organised by the late Glynne Reynolds, the class was run from the late 60s until his retirement from fencing in 1990, by Barrie Diamond.
A notable feature of the class was the number of "beginners" who re-enrolled each year, rather than migrate to other clubs, such was the successful club-like atmosphere of the class.
Many migrated from foil to épée, and in 1983 Barrie invited 3 experienced épéeists, Bob Turner, Colin Wickens & Alf Pearce to join. All three had fenced at Cardiff, and ‘Excalibur’, as well as taken part in numerous competitions in the UK and overseas, and with their addition, the club was registered in 1984 with the then AFA (Amateur Fencing Association) as ‘Whitchurch Fencing Club’.
Independent sessions : With Barrie’s encouragement the nucleus of "experienced beginners", along with some other regulars, was sufficient to represent a viable club in its own right, and Whitchurch Fencing Club started independent sessions in the newly opened Llanishen Leisure Centre in Ty Glas Avenue in 1987, relocating to Rhiwbina Memorial Hall in 2014.
Enquiries to : Michael Clemitson - 029 2075 1155
email : Whitchurch Fencing Club
|How to join||Learn to fence||Safeguarding policy||Privacy Notice|